Did you know that people have been playing video games competitively for over four decades? In this article, we take a look at the history of eSports and some of the most famous players in the industry. We will also share how the future of eSports is looking bright, with more and more people taking up competitive gaming each year.
But first, what is eSports?
eSports is a form of competitive gaming where players battle it out in online or offline tournaments. The most popular games in eSports include first-person shooters (FPS), real-time strategy (RTS), multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA), and fighting games. Some of the best-known titles are Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO), Dota 2, League of Legends (LoL), and Overwatch.
How did it all start?
While people have been playing video games competitively since the 1970s, the earliest known eSports tournament took place in 1972 at Stanford University. Students competed in a game of Spacewar, with the winner taking home a year’s subscription to Rolling Stone magazine.
The golden age of arcade gaming gave rise to the first professional gamers in the 1980s. One of the most famous is Walter Day, who founded Twin Galaxies, a global scoreboard for video game high scores. He also created the U.S. National Video Game Team, which featured some of the best players in the country.
The 1990s saw the birth of eSports as we know it today. The release of Street Fighter II in 1991 sparked a competitive gaming scene in arcades and led to the first official tournament, called the World Game Championships, which was held in August 1992.
The early 2000s were characterized by the rise of console gaming and online play. This period saw the launch of Major League Gaming (MLG), a professional eSports organization that held tournaments across the United States. The early 2010s, on the other hand, were all about PC gaming and saw the rise of Valve’s Dota 2 and Blizzard’s Overwatch.
Who are the most famous eSports players?
There are many well-known eSports players around the world, but here are just a few of the most famous:
- Johan “N0tail” Sunstein is a Danish professional Dota 2 player. He is best known for his time with Team OG, with whom he won The International 2018 – the largest and most prestigious Dota 2 tournament in the world.
- Lee “Faker” Sang-hyeok is a South Korean professional LoL player. He currently plays for SK Telecom T1 and is widely considered to be the best League of Legends player of all time.
- Kuro Takhasomi, better known as “KuroKy”, is a German professional Dota 2 player. He is the captain of Team Liquid, with whom he won The International 2017.
What is the future of eSports?
According to a report by Market Research and Consulting firm Newzoo, the global eSports market is set to generate revenue of $1.79 billion in 2020. The same report predicts that the number of people watching or playing eSports will reach 646 million this year.
With more and more people getting involved in eSports every year, it’s safe to say that the future of competitive gaming is looking very bright.
How can I get involved in eSports?
If you’re interested in getting involved in eSports, there are a few things you can do:
- Join an online community– There are many online communities dedicated to eSports, such as /r/eSports on Reddit and the eSports section of GameFAQs. Joining one of these communities is a great way to stay up-to-date with the latest eSports news and events.
- Watch tournaments– You can find plenty of eSports tournaments to watch online, such as The International (Dota 2), the League of Legends World Championship, and the Overwatch World Cup.
- Play the games– Of course, you can also try your hand at playing the games yourself. If you’re serious about becoming a professional eSports player, then you’ll need to put in the hours and practice, practice, practice.
- Bet on matches– Another way to get involved in eSports is to bet on the outcomes of matches. This can be done through online bookmakers such as Betway and Unikrn.
- Attend live events– If you want to experience eSports in person, then you can always attend live events. These are typically held in large arenas and stadiums and usually attract tens of thousands of spectators.
These are just a few of the ways you can get involved in eSports. So what are you waiting for? Start watching, playing, and betting on your favorite games today.